Thursday 24 January 2008

Abba...Papa.

' "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not my will, but what you will." '
The NIV. Mark 14 v 36.

' "Papa, Father, you can - can't you? - get me out of this. Take this cup away from me. But please, not what I want - what do you want?" '
The Message. Mark 14 v 36.

Recently I have seemed to be going through so much, which always seems to be frustrating and challenging rather than good. I started to read this book called 'God on Mute' by Pete Greig and it has spoken so clearly to me and has laid down some very important factors. The book is written about unanswered prayer. I guess through all of my challenges I have seen where God has not answered my pleading prayers. To some extent I now realise why. This doesn't necessarily make it easier, but it does help me make some sense of it all, which brings some comfort.

From the bible verse I have written above we can see Jesus coming before God, coming before his father in the most intimate way - he calls him Abba which is Aramaic for father - Jesus' own language. Jesus comes before his Abba and asks him to take away his pain, acknowledging that it is possible for Him to end this, but he also asks Abba to have His own way, acknowledging that maybe God's will is different to his own. Jesus knows God for who He is and knows that in all things He is the Almighty One possible of doing anything, but that He is also the Almighty One who chooses to do what is best.

In the book Pete talks about us coming before God knowing that He is possible to do what we ask but knowing at the same time that what we ask is not always the best. Pete talks about us coming before God with our pain whilst allowing God to have His own way, the way that will bring the most glory. Sometimes we have to go against our own desires in order to glorify God mightily. Wow, what a thought!! We can humble ourselves and our needs in our most vulnerable and painful times in order to expose Gods glory.

Reading this has made me change my tune about my present sufferings (which in comparison to most are not really sufferings at all). Life is not made to be easy. We must embrace life for what it is, the good and the not so good. We must be willing to sacrifice all for Gods glory. How amazing would it be to know that in our darkest moments God was being glorified in the most extraordinary way?!

Suffering is hard and God longs to hear our hurt and our anger and our pain in these times...but suffering can sometimes bring the most glory. Be released in knowing that you are honouring Him through all of this!!

Love and blessings x

No comments: